Refresh Your Backyard with These Summer Updates
It’s great to have friends and family over for BBQs, backyard parties and patio hangouts, but even better if your yard is something you are proud of. There are many low-cost and DIY options to update your backyard and make it the oasis you’ve always dreamed of. Here are some ideas to get you ready for backyard summer living!
What good is a backyard if you can’t sit, relax and enjoy all the hard work you’ve put into it? Here are some ideas to create a cozy nook for your yard:
- Pergola. A great way to section off space and give some overhead protection. Pergolas come in many different styles, so shop around for the one that suits you.
- Furniture. Just because it’s outside doesn’t mean patio furniture can’t be nice. Look for frames made of metal, cedar or all-weather wicker and pick cushions that withstand the elements.
- Cinder Blocks. Add a modern, edgy aesthetic to your patio setup by creating your own cinder block furniture.
- Repaint. If your furniture has seen better days, repaint metal chairs and tables to spruce up their look and add a dash of colour to the area.
- Lights. String lights to hang around your Pergola or grab some lanterns for the garden that will let you enjoy your backyard late into the evening.
- Outdoor Rug. These durable rugs offer eye-catching designs, colour and a sense of cohesion to pull your sitting area setup together.
Get the best flavour out of your summer by updating those old barbecue tools you’ve had for years. Impress family and guests with perfectly grilled foods you’ve made with the help of a full barbecue tool set, which should include:
- Long Tongs. To keep those hands away from the heat.
- Grill Brush.
- Meat Thermometer. Especially if you have an old one, it might be time a new thermometer that will give more accurate—and safer—readings.
- Basting Brush.
- Wood Plank. If you want delicious, smoky flavoured meats that is.
- Long Handled Spatula.
- Grill Basket. For those smaller foods and cuts that would otherwise fall through the grill.
- Chimney Starter. For charcoal barbecues.
- Grill Mitts. No, these are no the same as oven mitts. These bad boys will protect your arms up to the elbows and offer greater protection against flaring flames.
Spruce up your garden with easy to plant and maintain flowers and garden features.
- Stone Path. This is an easy feature to DIY and it gives the garden an immediately fresher look. Strolling through the garden will feel all the more luxurious when you are walking along a rustic stone path.
- Aromatic, colourful and bright, planting flowers is an easy way to spruce up your backyard. Pick blooms that will come back year after year that your future summer-self will thank you for.
- Trellises and Vertical Gardening. Add some colour to walls and liven up old sheds with trellises and plant pots. If you already enjoy gardening, adding a DIY vertical garden is an easy step to expand the beauty upwards.
- Fountains and Water Features. Not only is the sound of water running a calming addition to your garden, but it adds an active element that will keep you mesmerized and loving your newly updated backyard.