Whether you live in the USA, or if you’re a tourist looking to see more of the country, a road trip is a fantastic opportunity to do it all! Whether you’re a nature lover, a foodie, a history buff, or if you’re just looking for an adventure, hitting the open road is the perfect way to experience the diverse landscapes and cultures of the U.S.
If you only have 2 weeks, don’t worry – we can still make this happen! In this post, we’ll show you how you can see it all, including some must-see destinations and the top tourist attractions from coast to coast.
So buckle up and get ready for your great American road trip!
Plan the Ultimate 2 Weeks USA Road Trip
Day 1-3: New York City – The Big Apple Adventure
Let’s start our journey in the city that never sleeps – New York City! Spend your first 3 days exploring the iconic landmarks and hidden gems of the Big Apple:
- Visit the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island to learn about the history of immigration in the USA.
- If you’re looking to keep costs low, why not take a stroll in Central Park and enjoy the views of the skyline. You could even bring a picnic!
- A must-do: Take a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge at night and admire the sparkling, panoramic views of the city.
- You can’t visit NYC and not see at least one of its museums or art exhibits. Look online before you go, often places like the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Museum of Modern Art offer cheap ticket evenings, which are generally quieter — double bonus!
- NYC has a diverse culinary scene, from street vendors dishing up hot dogs, to Michelin restaurants chock full of gourmet delights!
- For the extra adventurous, and if you enjoy casinos, consider a day visit to Atlantic City. It’s a 2.5 hour drive from The Big Apple.
Day 4-5: Washington D.C. – A Capital Experience
From New York, drive south to the capital of the USA – Washington D.C. Spend 2 days discovering the political and cultural landmarks of the city:
- Visit the White House, the Capitol, and the Supreme Court to learn about the governance of the USA.
- For the history buffs, why not explore the Smithsonian museums? There are a few to choose from including the National Museum of American History and the National Air and Space Museum.
- Another free activity, take a stroll along the National Mall to see the monuments and memorials. You’ll be able to take in the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument, and the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
Day 6-8: Nashville and Memphis – The Music Route
Our next stop – the Music Route! Even if you don’t consider yourself to be a music aficionado, there’s lots to see for everyone on this leg of the journey. Hit the road and drive southwest, here you’ll come across the cities of Nashville and Memphis. Both locations offer ample opportunity to immerse yourself in the vibrant music scene:
- First up, Nashville. Here, you can visit the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, take in a live concert at the famous Grand Ole Opry, and explore the honky-tonk bars on Broadway — or do all three!
- In Memphis, you’d be remiss to not visit Graceland, the home of Elvis Presley. We also recommend visiting Sun Studio, where rock and roll was born. Of course, when in Memphis, don’t forget to try the famous Memphis-style barbecue!
Day 9-11: Grand Canyon and Las Vegas – The Desert Adventure
From the music route, drive west to the stunning landscapes of the desert. Did you think there would be one of the Seven Wonders of the World in our guide? Well, there is! We recommend that you now stop at the breathtakingly beautiful Grand Canyon National Park, where you can hike, bike, or take a helicopter tour to admire the majestic views. Our next checkpoint? The entertainment capital of the world, Vegas!
- Walking along the infamous Strip in Las Vegas is an experience in itself. Marvel at the neon lights and the postcard worthy hotels, such as the Bellagio, the Venetian, and the MGM Grand.
- If you arrive at the right time, you might even be able to see a concert by your favorite artist.
- Try your luck at the casinos or relax by the pool.
Day 12-14: San Francisco – The Golden Gate Experience
From Las Vegas, drive west to the final destination of our road trip – San Francisco. Spend your last 3 days exploring the city by the bay:
- Walk across the Golden Gate Bridge and enjoy the views of the bay and the city.
- Visit Alcatraz Island and learn about the history of the infamous prison.
- Take a cable car ride and explore the neighborhoods, such as Chinatown and Haight-Ashbury.
- Indulge in the culinary scene, from seafood to sourdough bread.
Q: Is 2 weeks enough for a USA road trip?
A: While 2 weeks may not be enough to explore every corner of the country, it’s definitely enough to visit some of the most iconic destinations and attractions — especially if cost is a factor. Just make sure to plan your itinerary in advance and prioritize your must-see places.
Q: What is the best time to do a USA road trip?
A: The best time to do a USA road trip depends on the region and the activities you’re interested in. Summer is the peak season for most destinations (there are hundreds of top summer attractions to take advantage of), but it can also be hot and crowded. Spring and fall are usually milder and less crowded, while winter can be snowy and icy in some areas.
Q: Do I need a special license to drive in the USA?
A: Tourists can regularly drive in the USA with your everyday license. We do strongly recommend that you check with specific states for their regulations, however.
Congratulations, you’ve just completed the ultimate 2 weeks USA road trip! By following this outline, you’ll have seen it all. From the bustling city streets of New York City to the vast open landscapes of the Grand Canyon, then all the way to the eclectic music scenes of Tennessee, we feel confident that this journey will offer you a glimpse into the diverse cultures and traditions of the U.S.A.
We hope this guide has inspired you to plan your own road trip and explore the USA. So what are you waiting for? Pack your bags, grab your best travel buddies, hit the road, and create memories that will last a lifetime!